There are an abundance of natural oils that can help you to achieve beautiful, healthy looking hair. In this blog post, I want to share my top five.
Without further ado, let’s get going…
Here’s a fantastic, and really simple, olive oil recipe for your hair.
1. In a glass jar pour approximately half a cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil. Add five drops of rosemary oil (or another essential oil of your choice, such as tea tree, lavender or frankincense) and shake well.
2. Allow the mixture to settle for at least 24 hours in a cool place away from direct sunlight and then shake again before use.
3. Pour a tablespoon measure of the oil into your hands and rub to warm it up. Gently massage the warmed olive oil mixture onto your hair. Start by massaging into the scalp and then move to the tips.
4. Once the scalp and tips of your hair have been covered, secure a plastic bag around your hair and leave for half an hour.
5. Finally, rinse your hair in the shower and shampoo – preferably using a natural shampoo.
You will now be left with soft, silky, stronger looking hair.
One further benefit of olive oil is that it can help to stimulate new hair growth. For more information have a read of the below article.
There are a number of components that make coconut oil so effective at healing damaged hair, preventing hair from aging and nourishing and moisturizing. For example:
- Lauric acid is an antimicrobial agent that stops one of the primary reasons for hair loss – microbial action.
- Vitamin E is one of the most important vitamins for skin and hair care. Coconut oil possesses an abundance of vitamin E that serves to revitalise and rejuvenate your hair and scalp.
- Coconut oil is not broken down easily. This means it has a high moisture retaining capacity. This reduces the breakage of hair and retains moisture keeping your hair looking soft and shiny.
Coconut oil is fantastic for your hair and I strongly recommend you include it in your hair care regimen.
It is an oil extracted from the castor bean plant and can be used in a multitude of ways for your hair. Firstly, it works to cleanse your scalp of dirt and bacteria, secondly it heals scalp infections and side effects of using harsh chemical products, and finally it moisturizes and hydrates your hair and scalp eliminating brittle hair and a flaky scalp.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has two important properties that make it an effective essential oil for our hair. It is antiseptic and fights bacteria, mites and head lice. It is antifungal and helps to fight the fungal infection ‘malessezia fur fur’ with only a 5% concentration. This fungal infection is one of the primary causes of dandruff.
Tea tree oil is nutrient dense and helps to nourish hair, reduce breakage, retain moisture and leave hair looking soft and shiny. It is also effective at preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth.
Argan oil, derived from the kernels of the Argan tree in Morocco, has a number of medicinal and cosmetic properties that makes it fantastic for your hair.
Firstly, it is a rich source of vitamin E which we have already discussed is fantastic for your skin and hair. It also contains omega 3 and 9 fatty acids that help to penetrate the hair shaft and deliver nutrients directly to the hair follicles.
To reap the maximum benefits of Argan oil simply massage gently onto the scalp. It will help to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells.
If you want to learn more about Argan oil for hair, simply click the link.
In this blog post I’ve shared what I believe to be the top five best oils for your hair – but don’t take this as gospel. There are lots of other oils out there that have important benefits for our hair health. Some that spring to mind include lavender, rosemary, jojoba and almond oil.
What’s your favourite? Please share how you’ve used natural oils to achieve beautiful, luxurious hair by leaving a comment below.
Thank you so much for your informative tips and information Daisy!