Bentonite clay can be used in a variety of ways but I’m focusing on using it as a face mask. For those who may not know, (calcium) bentonite clay is simply a clay formed from volcanic ash and water. It is a phyllosilicate which has high absorbing powers. Its astoundingly strong drawing action cleanses by pulling out impurities while its dynamic binding power captures and eliminates toxins. In addition, the clay’s vibrant electromagnetic charge stimulates cellular revitalization.
Bentonite Clay’s Benefits
- Draws out impurities and toxins from the skin
- Exfoliates dead skin cells and remove flaky dry skin
- Repairs damage skin tissue and encourage skin wounds to heal faster
- Encourages blood flow to the skin
- Tones and tightens face
- Absorbs excess oil from the skin
The simplest recipe for a bentonite clay mask is to use bentonite clay with either plain filtered water or apple cidar vinegar. To whip up a batch, mix a few spoonfuls of the bentonite clay with apple cider vinegar until you have a yogurt like consistency.
- Remember that bentonite clay swells so a little goes a long way. Start with no more than 1/2 Tbsp of clay. That should be enough for one application.
- Never use metal utensils with bentonite clay. Stick to plastic or wood.
To learn more about the effects of bentonite clay on the face, go here.
Bentonite clay may also be used to do a full body detox, read about that here.