I purchased some whipped shea butter today from Shea Batter Antigua for 2# reasons:
1/ I have been too lazy to whip it myself; and
2/ I wanted to give my fellow naturalista a sale 🙂
I tried whipping some shea butter a couple months ago but the quantity of raw shea butter I had in stock was bare minimum and I couldn’t find any of the good stuff around! This made it difficult to whip because there was so little of the butter. However, as a natural with a spirit for DIY, I have every intention to make a successful batch of Whipped Shea Butter when the 4 oz that I purchased have been depleted.
I had found and saved a recipe a while back and I am now sharing it with you should you wish for some of this shea goodness at your own hands!
Whipped Shea Butter for Natural Hair
- 4 oz raw unrefined shea butter (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp olive/jojoba/castor oil *use whichever you prefer
- 1/2 Tsp vitamin E oil *optional
- 5- 8 drops essential oil *optional
- Before you start to prepare whipped shea butter, ensure your unrefined shea butter is at room temperature. Do not melt or heat it! Put your shea butter in a deep mixing bowl and mash it with a fork. This makes it easier to whip.
- Add your carrier and essential oils to the bowl and mash it little bit more.
- Mix everything on a high speed with electric mixer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Believe it or not, this is it!
- Put whipped butter in a clean jar(s) and close it. Keep it in a dry, dark and cool place. Room temperature is fine.
Whipped Shea Butter is incredibly easy to make and the finished product is silky smooth and easy to apply to hair. The fact that the butter is whipped makes application easier and lighter. You only need very little to use at any one time on your hair. A little certainly goes a long way!
Here is a YouTube videos I watched that will be helpful to my visual readers *-*
Another great video can be found here.
Tips for Storing Shea Butter
- Shea Butter’s shelf life is approximately one to two years. It should be kept in dark, cool place on a room temperature.
- Protect your cream from absorbing humidity from the air by keeping it always firmly closed.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and feel inspired to make some whipped butter for yourself to show your tresses some looooovvveeee!