Bananas, coconut milk and honey might sound more like ingredients for a tropical smoothie, but the combination is actually an effective deep conditioner for your hair. It’s easy to make, will nourish your hair and leave you with soft, smooth and shiny tresses.
Bananas are rich in potassium that strengthens hair, minimizes breakage by restoring your hair’s natural elasticity, and facilitates repair of damaged hair. Bananas also moisturize your hair as they contain natural oils and about 75% water. Strong, moisturized hair is less prone to frizzing and tangling. In addition, the fruit is packed with vitamin A, B6, C and E, as well as zinc and iron.
With bananas as a base, this homemade deep conditioner also includes:
- Coconut milk – which is loaded with antioxidants and fats. It conditions and fortifies your hair with proteins and oils.
- Coconut oil – which contains vitamin E and healthy fatty acids that moisturizes your hair, encourages growth, adds shine, and reduces keratin loss. The lauric acid in coconut oil gives it antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that also prevent dandruff.
- Honey – which is a natural humectant, helps hydrate your hair and locks in moisture. It is also rich in zinc, iron, sulfur, and B vitamins that promote healthy hair growth.
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
Cut banana into small chunks and place in blender. Add the coconut milk, oil and honey and blend until smooth, about 45-60 secs. Strain from blender into bowl to remove any gunk that may otherwise get left in your hair.
Apply to hair, cover with plastic cap and sit under your heat cap for 30 minutes or let sit for 45 mins to an hour. Rinse.
*If you no not have a blender, just mash your banana with a fork and stir in the rest ingredients!
TIP: freeze unused coconut milk in ice tray and keep in freezer until ready to use.
I tried this for the first time while on my Castor Oil Challenge so I substituted the coconut oil for Jamaican Black Castor Oil.
This week’s wash consisted of:
- Shea Moisture Shampoo (once)
- Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque (let sit with plastic cap for 1 hour while doing dishes. Finished w/ 5 mins under my heat cap) After the last black color job, I noticed my hair is now breaking so fix it! fix it!
- Deep Condition as per recipe (let sit 30 minutes under heat cap)
- Condition with Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner
When I washed my hair out, it felt a lil ‘stiff’ (not sure I’m using the right word there) I’m assuming it was the honey; but once I got the conditioner in my hair felt like heaven! After I rinsed it out my hair kept that soft, moisturized feel. I’m keeping this recipe!!
Hope your hair loves this little DIY as much as mine did!