I have been growing weary of my curly afro and twist outs recently. I was on YouTube hunting for a few TWA styles and was having a difficult time finding something that wasn’t a variation to a textured afro or a twist out of some sort. In the end, I went with [gel less] finger coils. I have always been weary to try them because I know my hair is thin which means that all my parts would show and I would not have a lot of body; but I worked up the courage and decided to kick all my reservations to the curb and just do it! And I’m very happy I did!
Finger Coils on 4C Natural Hair
What you need:
- Spray bottle with water
- Styling product / Gel
- Your hair needs to be wet to do this style so it is best done on freshly washed and moisturized hair. Your spray bottle will come in pretty handy as you will need to constantly wet your hair as you coil each section.
- Section your hair and use a clip or clamp to keep the rest of your hair out of the way
- Detangle the section of hair with your comb
- Apply styling product or gel liberally and brush through for even distribution
- Proceed to coil hair to your desired size by coiling the hair around your finger until it slides right off (see video below)
- Continue through each section until full head is complete
* Coil in the direction you want your hair to fall
Personally, I am not a fan of gel; esp on freshly washed hair so I skipped the gel and used my Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and a bit of Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souffle (which is NOT a gel at all – need to do a review on that!) and just coiled my hair. I know it will not last as long as it would have with gel but I like soft hair so that’s just my thing.
It took me about 2 hours to complete my head but I do think it could have been done in less 🙂
Like I mentioned earlier, I don’t have a lot of hair so I didn’t get a lot of body from my coils but that’s my hair and I have to just go with the flow! It definitely took some getting used to but I am so tired of my curly afro its not even funny – no, don’t laugh; it ain’t funny!
Here’s the video that compelled me to try this style – yup, my coils are nothing like her’s HAHA The body of her coils are GORG! So full, fluff and beautiful!
I hope you enjoy the style as much as I did! It was definitely different for me but I don’t have to re-twist (or re-coil, rather) my hair nightly so that’s just great!
Happy hair days curlies xx
UPDATE – 2nd day hair
I woke up this morning and spritzed my hair with my DIY Hair Mist, rubbed some castor oil in my palm and rubbed over my coils then tied my satin scarf around my head to lay them down. They survived! 😀
I have a funeral tomorrow and I wanted “long” hair so I undid my coils even tho I could have made them go another day. I simply spritzed the coils, applied some leave in conditioner and then some SM curl enhancing smoothie. I then twisted each coil in the opposite direction and separated and detangled with a wide tooth comb.
Because I didn’t use any gel, my hair was good to go. I immediately did some flat twist to rock a flat twist out with a side part (love that style)
Here’s a video of how to take down Finger Coils
I will try this again, Yup. Definitely will!