Hey Curlies! I have been in a major hair rut this past week and a half and have not been in the mood to do any blogging. I feel like its time to put my hair away and have been trying to come up with a protective style that would not damage my hair line. I tried getting some cornrows but the stylist didn’t seem too competent with her cornrowing technique so I had her take them all down (I was half-way through). That seem to have thrown me deeper into my rut but, alas, I am back!
My fellow Antiguan blogger, Charity of Deep Fried Stilettos recently did some Yarn Wraps which were totally awesome and although I would not put them in my hair (my hairline could not take it!) I thought it would be really great to share!
Article by Deep Fried Stilettos
Yarn locs, Genie locs, faux locs, Yarn wraps, mmm did I miss any? What ever you want to call them, I love this protective style. Yesterday made it a month since these yarn locs have been in, so I thought a little review of sorts, with some tips and tricks would be nice.
1. The first few days were ridiculous! My scalp was really irritated. The same thing happened when I installed the last set of box braids. Sulfur 8 Spray
was amazing at soothing the scalp.
2. It’s really important to ensure that your own hair is kept hydrated while under the yarn locs. Spraying the locs with water; either on it’s own or mixed with leave-in-conditioner is a great option. Sulfur 8 Spray is also very good at keeping the hair conditioned.
3. The yarn is very absorbent, it really dries out the scalp. I oil my entire scalp twice a week and my edges once a day. Using 1/2 castor oil, 1/4 sweet almond oil, 1/4 pure coconut oil and 8 capsules of Vitamin E makes a great mix!
4. Hair Washing has been a huge no no. The dry yarn locs are very light and flexible. On the other hand, wet yarn is heavy as hell yarn.
5. These things would make excellent lint brushes. It’s recommended that you cover them when not in use to keep lint from becoming lodged in the locs. Me? I cover them when sleeping, it only takes a few seconds to brush or pluck any lint off.
How to Install Yarn Wraps
I think this style if GORGEOUS! Have you tried them? Are you willing to? Let me know!