Hey Curlies! I have in the past pulled my hair into a high bun; but that feat left my scalp feeling the tension of pulling hair not quite long enough to meet – together. I rather not endanger my edges that way anymore but I still love the look of a high bun. So what’s a girl to do? Well, I divided that sucker into two high ponytails and joined them – that’s what! *-*
By parting my hair in two horizontally, I have reduced the stress on my hair to come together. My edges feels so much more relaxed and I don’t have to worry about damage.
Here’s what I did:
- Divide hair in two horizontally
- Brush hair into two ponytails
- Smooth on a bit of gel to ensure hair lays flat
- Tie with satin scarf for 10 – 15 minutes (go shower, fix face etc)
- Grab hair extension – I use my fav – marley hair. Knot a section of marley braids around each ponytail (I used 10 strands each – you can use less because my strands are quite thin)
- Take a smaller section of marley braids (3 – 5 strands) and knot around both ponytails in an effort to join
- Take another small section of marley braids (3 – 5 strands) and knot around both ponytails in the opposite direction (if the knot for the first ponytail tied in the front, then the second should tie at the back)
- Now wrap marley hair around ponytails into an oblong bun and pin as necessary
- Don’t forget to lay those edges down so, if necessary, apply a bit more gel to your edges and tie again with scarf for a few minutes
- Voila! A beautiful oblong bun!
The horizontal line will be visible but, really, who cares, eh?
I’m loving my high bun!
I have been forced to find new ways to style my TWA as my hair has refused to hold any definition from a twist or braid out. I think the change in my hair started when I began using the GNC hair vitamins. I will twist my hair at nights and after untwisting in the mornings, my hair is completely without definition – with or without gel used.
I’m not so sure what I can do to “fix” this. I will try a protein treatment this weekend to see if that helps. DO share your suggestions if you have experienced this in the past as I do love a mean twist out 😦
Until next time, enjoy xx